Apophenia Evolved

Please visit my other blog: Apophenia Evolved.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Beauty of "Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou"

Sometimes you stumble across something that unexpectedly touches your heart in a way you didn’t think was possible. What I found was the old Manga “Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou”.

It is a heartwarming yet lonely story about robots, old people, and children who grow up. Set in a nostalgic future Japan after civilization has fallen where the streetlights of old sunken cities still illuminate the night. The story tugged at my heart as I followed the everyday experiences of the robot Alpha. On the surface the story was simple yet it resonated deep within me reminding me of friendship, loneliness, and hardship.

It is a quiet lovely story which I recommend. You can find out more about it here or here. You can also find translations of it online if you look around.

No comments: